Thursday, April 10, 2008

Travels on the Infobahn














Our car has been in the shop all week. Such luck should happen to everyone for at least a week out of the year. You walk more, or take the bus. Or find some other sort of vintage transportation that might be referred to as quaint. You slow down. It being springtime, you're more aware of what's popping up in your neighbors' yards.

A lot of foraging requires gas, which is unfortunate. Mushrooming especially. Not having use of a car has made me more of an urban forager this week. The dandelion obsession continues, and I've been keeping an eye out for mulch morels. Yesterday I topped all the dandelions in my front yard once again and pulled the petals while watching the Mariners game. We're having guests over for dinner this weekend; after hearing my radio interview, they've demanded to be feted with dent de lion.

Just the same, I've still managed to travel plenty this week. My travels on the Infobahn have taken me all over the country:


  • down to the Bay Area to see FeralKevin getting in touch with the wild;

  • over to Ohio, where Cinci Locavore is discovering the joys of eating locally;

  • up to Wisconsin for an herb walk in the Prodigal Gardens;

  • on to West Virginia, to hear the mysteries of plants revealed by the Herbwife;

  • back to California where the Hunter-Angler-Gardener-Cook makes art out of wild game and his green thumb;

  • and back home to the Northwest to eat sustainably with Mixed Greens.

That was just one of many trips I took sans automobile. Like I said, we should all break down once in a while.

1 comment:

valereee said...

Thanks for the shout out, Finspot!