Monday, March 2, 2009

A Jolt of Spring


The last day of February found me skulking around a moist woodland near sea-level, zeroing in on signs of spring. One of my favorite harbingers of the season is now rearing its quarrelsome head: the stinging nettle. Apologies to those foragers still shoveling snow, but know that green things are stirring beneath white blankets.

In my neighborhood the nettles are just now reaching a perfect height for the first harvest. Most are about six inches off the ground, a few nearing a foot. At this stage they're tender and nutrient-packed, and you don't have to worry about trimming the stems. I picked two grocery bag's worth.

Long sleeves and gloves are de rigeur. I use kitchen shears to lop them off at the heel. It doesn't take long for the fresh smell of the cut nettles to envelope you like a cool, minty fog. Unlike grass clippings, with their scent of decomposition, cut nettles smell like the life is rising out of them and swirling around you. It's a pleasant and energizing aroma—energy being the key word here. Stinging nettles have more protein than almost any other plant in the kingdom. They're loaded with minerals.

Even with gloves, my first few cuts are hesitant. Maybe this will be the year nettles learn how to pierce rubber. Phantom itches develop, and you start to wonder whether the nettles can shoot some of their noxious chemicals into the air as they fall to the shears. Those nasty little hairs work on a principle similar to a bee's sting: formic acid and histamine combine to jolt the unwary.

It's amazing we eat these things.

When I first started cooking with nettles they were still somewhat exotic, but the market for wild foods has exploded in recent years. Now it seems like most people have seen them on a restaurant menu or tasted a friend's homemade nettle soup. Soup was always my first choice too, though now I'm eating nettles other ways. You can pretty much substitute them into any recipe that calls for spinach, such as lasagna.

Stay tuned for Stinging Nettle Ravioli...

10 comments:

Peabody said...

I did not know they had so much protein.

Anonymous said...

Nettle ravioli! Brilliant idea, can't wait.

Dewi said...

I never tried this yet, it still sounds exotic to me.
Cheers,
elra

Heather said...

I'm going out soon to pick my own. Stupid broken toe means I have to wait for nice weather so my orthopedic boot and sock don't get wet. :(

I can't wait to taste the spring's first nettle pesto risotto with artichoke hearts.

Langdon Cook said...

Peabody - Protein is just the beginning... A truly amazing plant.

Poppy - It's cued up.

Elra - Thanks for stopping by. More exoticism to come!

Heather - I'm sorry about your toe. A hardcore nettle kook might even rub a few leaves on the injury for a speedier recovery... Looking forward to your pesto recipe. Mine will be on its way soon.

Jon Roth said...

Very interesting, I never would have thought they were so useful in cooking. I think I'll try the soup.

Trout Caviar said...

"Apologies to those foragers still shoveling snow, but know that green things are stirring beneath white blankets."

Lang: You're kind to spare a thought for those of us out here on the still-frozen tundra. The Great White North is still north, and white, but...not so great, this time of year. But I'm going out today to see if the watercress has poked its head out of the springs, and divert myself with a first attempt at maple sugaring.

Thank you for another fine post, and the encouraging images of things to come!

Brett

Langdon Cook said...

Jon - Soup is the place to start with nettles. So good, so easy. Here's a recipe.

Brett - I luuurrrve watercress and have been delinquent in its procurement lately. Check out this recipe for a tasty Gnocchi with Tomato, Pancetta & Watercress, and let me know if you get some.

billi said...

Just discovered your blog because of an article in Bon Appetit. I'm so happy I did, I love to forage. I live in NJ, I guess the time should be right. Tomorrow I will see if I can find some in the reservation close by.

Dawn Fornear said...

i love this blog! can't believe i just found it.

i went for a little stroll in discovery park last weekend, the nettles were so thick. at least, i think they're nettles.