In an exciting new collaboration I'll be working with the Bainbridge Island Metro Park & Recreation District to offer several foraging and cooking classes in 2011. The first will be a stinging nettles class with instruction both in the field and in the kitchen. I'll also be teaching shellfish classes [dates TBD], including a geoduck dig!
Environmental Writers Workshop in Seattle. This is sponsored by the Burke Museum and will be held at the Center for Urban Horticulture. In September I'll be at the North Cascades Institute for the three-day Thunder Arm Writing Retreat, and some time this fall I'll be teaching a writing workshop at 826 Seattle. Stay tuned for updates.
- Feb 3, Mid-Valley Willamette Writers Speakers Series, Tsunami Books, Eugene, OR. Craft lecture: "Creative Nonfiction: How to Tell the Truth Like a Bald-Faced Liar."
- Feb 8, Possession Sound Reading Series, Everett Community College, Everett, WA.
- Mar 23, Stinging Nettles Workshop, in association with Bainbridge Island Metro Park & Recreation District, Bainbridge Island, WA.
- Apr 23, Environmental Writers Workshop, in association with the Burke Museum, Seattle, WA.
- Sep 8 - 11, North Cascades Institute's Thunder Arm Writing Retreat, North Cascades National Park, WA.
Note: If you would like to organize your own field trip, you can contact me at finspotcook AT gmail dot com. I've taken groups up to 25 in number on nature walks and wild food walks around the Seattle area and Tiger Mountain. This is a good introduction to foraging and plant identification.